Looking for a fresh idea for a new appetizer or small meal? Personally when summer rolls around I like to switch up some of my eating habits and try some new recipes that involve more plant and veggie-based ingredients to keep things on the lighter side! I have the perfect recipe for you to whip up at your next soirée or just for yourself as a light meal on a hot afternoon! All you need is 5 ingredients, 4 of which you will already have on stock in your kitchen. Let’s get to it!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cracked or Course Pepper
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Vegetable Shaver or Mandolin
1. Clean all of your asparagus stalks thoroughly, especially on the ends where the dirt tends to build up.
2. Using your peeler or mandolin, shave the asparagus into long thin strips.
3. Place the shaved pieces into a salad bowl and drizzle a small amount of extra virgin olive oil over your asparagus. Be light-handed with this so that the meal stays light!
4. Cut a lemon in half, remove seeds, and squeeze lemon juice over the salad.
5. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and pepper over the top and you are finito! Gently toss and serve!
I told you it was easy! The prep time for this fresh little app is under 10 minutes, there is no cooking involved at all since the asparagus is raw! You want to keep it raw so that it has a crunch when you bite into it, crunchy salads are my favorite. We don’t waste our time on soggy greens around here!
If you are making this dish for one person then you only need about 3/4 of a pound of asparagus. If serving two-to-three guests you will need between 1.5 and 2 pounds. The portions for the rest of the ingredients is really just to your taste! I love lemons and acidity so I use 1/2 of a lemon for the “dressing” on my salad. When I am serving two or more guests I would use a whole lemon to dress the greens.
Are you ready to try this dish out for yourself!? Let me know how it turns out!